Thursday, July 4, 2024

From Victim to Victor: My Ordeal with Cyber Fraud and the Road to Recovery

 I'm writing today to share a personal experience that left me shaken but ultimately empowered As a Public Sector Bank Manager, I prided myself on financial literacy. However, my heart and soul were burnt to ashes on June 20th when I fell prey to a high-tech cyber fraud.

The Slippery Slope:


It all started at 11 AM with a call, claiming to be from Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). They said that a SIM card under my Aadhaar had been created for nefarious activities. Despite my denial for the same, they somehow convinced me. They asked me to "raise" this issue with Mumbai Police and patched my call through the said 'Mumbai Police' from Colaba.

was being led deeper into a trap, but I had no hint of that then. The call was answered by a 'so-called' IPS officer, his voice filled with urgency. He convinced me to install Skype for further enquiries and made me write few statements to get freed from this trap.


The Descent into Fear:

I was locked in my room while my family living their daily routine outside unaware of the trauma, I was in. I received several accusations and threats. Fearful, I lost my sense of sane. They asked for personal information, including Aadhar detailsThey even told me that I was a prime suspect in a money laundering case involving Naresh Goyal. In a state of mental manipulation, I did as they asked. Not doubting on their ill-intentions, I kept following their instructions.  They drilled me about my finances  bankbalances, income, expensesAfter 5 hours, they asked me to transfer my bank funds to a "secret surveillance account" on the promise that the RBI would monitor my accounts for fraudulent transactions. Believing their lies, I broke my Fixed Deposits, transferring a significant sum – a whopping ₹17 lacs. It wasn't until my family intervened, breaking the spell, that I realised I had been victimised. Moreover, the defraudershad almost convinced me to transfer an additional Rs 3 lakhs, but fortunately, I got senses back and did not make this mistake. 


The Aftermath and the Fight:

As the call ended, I began to feel humiliated and stupid. However, thanks to my extremely loving family I didn’t feelbeing a victim. I then lodged an FIR in the cybercrime helpline (1930) on the same day. The cyber trail led to a branch of IndusInd Bank where, within 15 minutes, the cash was transferred into three accounts — Yes Bank for Rs10 lakh: AU Finance Bank for Rs. 3.00 lakh and Cosmos Cooperative Bank for Rs. 4.00 Lakh. And from here, the money was withdrawn across three different places in Indore, Nagaur, and Ahmedabad, painted a grim picture and almost nil chances for recovery.  The emotional toll was immense.  Constant worry, and the concerning anxiety of losing everything – these were my mates.


The Long Road Back:

The odds of recovering cash withdrawals seemed bleak. However, due to the support of my family, friends, colleagues and the exceptional Rajasthan Police and Indore Police, I wouldn't give up.  My friends, rallied behind me. They offered not just emotional support, but also practical help. They researched recovery options, connected me with resources, and helped me stay focused through the nightmare.


The Power of Knowledge and Connecting the Dots:

I had a weapon in this war — my knowledge of the financial system from working as a banker. Using the financial data, I carefullyfollowed a paper trail from one account to another in order to complete the puzzle. There were moments of frustration, dead ends that seemed to lead nowhere. But slowly, a pattern emerged.

Using my banking experience, I was able to connect the dots. The seemingly random accounts led to specific locations – the end users who had withdrawn the stolen money in cash. This was a crucial breakthrough.


A Collaborative Effort:

Armed with this information, we informed the police. Their swift action was instrumental in capturing the culprits. Commissioner Shri, Bishu Joseph Sir, DIG Kunwar Rastradeep Sir, SHO SharvanKumar Sir, Mr. Pradeep, and Mr. Sandeep displayed remarkable dedication. Furthermore, a special thanks goes to DIG Amit SinghSir of Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Although the case wasn't in his jurisdiction, he went above and beyond, apprehending the culprits and ensuring the return of my stolen money. Nevertheless, I would also mention two persons, who stood by me in this need. They are my friends Namarta Choudhary and Rajesh.  Without their support, it would not have been possible for me to accomplish my recovery task.


A Message of Hope:

My journey through cyber fraud recovery was exhausting, fueled by a vigorous combination of personal resilience, unwavering support, and the expertise of the police department. Though people made perceptions about me as per their limited knowledge and experiences, but I didn’t lose hope. This experience has instilled in me a renewed sense of purpose – to educate others and empower them to protect themselves from these sophisticated scams.

Remember, even when faced with apparently impossible odds, there is always hope. With the right support system and a never-give-up attitude, you too can overcome the challenges of cybercrime. Let us unite against cybercrimes and support each other in the fight. Have faith in our country's system, and never lose hope. Share your story, raise awareness, and let's outsmart cyber fraudsters together. We will not be silenced. We will not be defeated. 

In the end, it was a victory not just for me, but for all those who have suffered at the hands of cyber fraudsters. 


Lessons Learned:

This ordeal was a frightening reminder of how sophisticated cybercriminals can be. Here's what I learned:

• Never share personal information over the phone.
• Verify the caller's identity before taking any action.
• Report suspicious activity immediately.
• Stay vigilant and educate others.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment